[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Jan 8 14:04:28 CST 2008

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> I am sure you could but what does that have to do with the postings
> that I mentioned as a recent example of a flame war. I see the "man
> arrestedfor copping his own CD's" post as a perfect example of how
> easily a topic can get sidetracked into a irrelevant political topic.
> Granted the original post was not directly concerned with technical
> issues rather it concerned the political implications of topic which
> many on this list are interested in. Should we now ban all discussions
> not directly related to technical issues or would it be more prudent
> to segregate such issues from the technical list onto a voluntarily
> subscribed to off-topic list?

Ah!  Yes, It -would- be more prudent to move the discussion, should it
escalate into something no longer on-topic for the main list, into a
different message area, but alas.. we, as a Linux user Community, don't
-have- another list to move the discussion to.

<sarcasm>
Where, oh WHERE, could we -find- a place to host such a list?
Could it be possible that the very machine where -this- list is being
hosted has enough room and bandwidth for 'yet another' list?
</sarcasm>

Nice teamwork, Todd, on illustrating our point.

(also, as mentioned earlier, note the 'trimming' of the messages I've
posted?  think back to the 'bbs' days.. messages just look 'neater' and
conversation is -much- easier to follow)