[SATLUG] SuSE 10.3 and Automatic Updates

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Jan 8 14:07:18 CST 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Ok, this is getting annoying...
>
> Some of you may remember me saying my linux server is my -do all-
> box.. gateway, router, web/file/mail server, etc...  running it on a
> 733MHz machine w/128meg (at the time - now up to 512meg of RAMBUS ram
> - Thanks, Todd!) running SuSE Linux 10.3 (kde) and am -trying- to get
> used to the Linux gui.  It ain't been easy, prying my fingernails away
> from the keyboard at the command line tty's but I'm no stranger to a
> rodent, either.
>
> ... I digress...
>
> Since I've been at the gui now (5 days?) every single stinking time I
> sit down here, there's a message saying "new software for your system
> is available".  Ok, fine.
> I click on the icon, I click on 'details' it's amarok, version
> 4492-0.  Every time.
>
> It's -always- been amarok, the version has always been the same, I
> tell the system 'go get it', it asks me for my root password, I give
> it, it goes through the gyrations and acts like it's getting it, and
> then the system goes and checks the repositories again, and comes back
> and tells me "new software for your system is available".  Ok, fine.
>
> I tell the system 'go get it', it asks me for my root password, I give
> it, it goes through the gyrations and acts like it's getting it, and
> then the system goes and checks the repositories again, and comes back
> and tells me "new software for your system is available".  Ok, fine.
>
> I tell the system 'go get it', it asks me for my root password, I give
> it, it goes through the gyrations and acts like it's getting it, and
> then the system goes and checks the repositories again, and comes back
> and tells me "new software for your system is available".  Ok, fine.
>
> am i being clear enough in the problem description?
>
> WHAT IS IT?!

first, Your welcome Geoff anytime.
second...I am currently having a similar problem with Ubuntu 7.10...Only
difference is that my update manager notes that "the list of changes is
not yet available."  On my system I am assuming that these are updates
which are on the mediubuntu repository may not be ready for
implementation on Ubuntu 7.10.  This may be the case with your system as
if I try to update I get the same behavior.  Also this happened to me on
Feisty as well, eventually the repositories were updated and the system
corrected itself.

Todd

Todd