[SATLUG] This list Linux/Political

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:12:32 CST 2008

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> Should we now ban all discussions not
> directly related to technical issues or would it be more prudent to
> segregate such issues from the technical list onto a voluntarily
> subscribed to off-topic list?
> Todd

This begs the question: what if somebody brings up a topic like software
patents or licensing issues related to playing DVDs on your linux
laptop? While not purely technical in nature, both topics could be
relevant to a discussion about open source and both are certain to
involve politics. Could a person get banned for discussing such a topic?
What about discussing legislation being considered in Great Britain that
would outlaw any software/hardware tool that might possibly be used for
unlawful purposes, even though they can be used for lawful ones? I am
sure you understand where I am going with this.

Topics that involve linux and open source are not always entirely devoid
of political relevance. Certainly Richard Stallman could not be
considered apolitical.

~Nate