[SATLUG] IBM Linux Commercial

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Jan 8 14:12:38 CST 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Ernest De Leon wrote:
>> 1957 and 1958...wow...I wish I could have lived my 20s in the 60s (as
>> it were lol).
>
> You wouldn't have remembered it
>
> ;-)

LOL I remember the good parts Geoff. Hippies were looked down on mostly.
but it was an interesting time to be a young man with a good paying job.
After i left IBM. That was one area that IBM slipped on due to the work
for life structure that was formed by Watson Sr. they suffered a huge
drain in brainpower simply because they failed to react to the new line
of work that they had been instrumental in inventing. plus they were
investing into what was live or die development of valid data transfer
that resulted in moving to the byte. all the base installed equipment
was octal mostly fixed length word storage and the 360 was the first Hex
machine that was not backwards compatible. Add to that the developement
of the first drum and disk machines and the need to migrate from batch
programming to real time random access. It was a new world for IBM and
they failed to see it fully. I still think they are making bad decisions
but who knows?
herb