[SATLUG] SuSE 10.3 and Automatic Updates

Charles Hogan cd_satl at futuretechsolutions.com
Tue Jan 8 14:14:13 CST 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Ok, this is getting annoying...
>
> Some of you may remember me saying my linux server is my -do all- box..
> gateway, router, web/file/mail server, etc...  running it on a 733MHz
> machine w/128meg (at the time - now up to 512meg of RAMBUS ram - Thanks,
> Todd!) running SuSE Linux 10.3 (kde) and am -trying- to get used to the
> Linux gui.  It ain't been easy, prying my fingernails away from the
> keyboard at the command line tty's but I'm no stranger to a rodent, either.
>
> ... I digress...
>
> Since I've been at the gui now (5 days?) every single stinking time I
> sit down here, there's a message saying "new software for your system is
> available".  Ok, fine.
> I click on the icon, I click on 'details' it's amarok, version 4492-0.
> Every time.
>
> It's -always- been amarok, the version has always been the same, I tell
> the system 'go get it', it asks me for my root password, I give it, it
> goes through the gyrations and acts like it's getting it, and then the
> system goes and checks the repositories again, and comes back and tells
> me "new software for your system is available".  Ok, fine.
>
> I tell the system 'go get it', it asks me for my root password, I give
> it, it goes through the gyrations and acts like it's getting it, and
> then the system goes and checks the repositories again, and comes back
> and tells me "new software for your system is available".  Ok, fine.
>
> I tell the system 'go get it', it asks me for my root password, I give
> it, it goes through the gyrations and acts like it's getting it, and
> then the system goes and checks the repositories again, and comes back
> and tells me "new software for your system is available".  Ok, fine.
>
> am i being clear enough in the problem description?
>
> WHAT IS IT?!

I haven't run SUSE in quite some time, so I can't talk of the package
manager that it uses.
When I run into little pains such as this, I generally fall back to the
command line to get what I need done.
I would try running the CLI package update utility.  It may be a bit
more verbose about what type of problems it is encountering, (broken
dependencies, mirror unavailable, failed checksum...)