[SATLUG] IBM Linux Commercial

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Jan 8 14:25:59 CST 2008

herb cee wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
>> Ernest De Leon wrote:
>>> 1957 and 1958...wow...I wish I could have lived my 20s in the 60s
>>> (as it were lol).
>> You wouldn't have remembered it
>> ;-)
> LOL I remember the good parts Geoff. Hippies were looked down on
> mostly. but it was an interesting time to be a young man with a good
> paying job.

Most people of that time frame weren't that lucky, Herb ;-)    But there
were still some 'good times' had by all.  Luckily for me, I was in the
2nd grade when "I wanna hold your hand" came out on the Rock Station of
San Antonio, at the time.. KTSA.

Back to the 70's....
Another company in the same realm as IBM, back then, was Sperry.  A good
friend was working there, 'back in the day', and used to listen to the
fascinating things he would talk about.  I didn't know what he was
talking about, but it just sounded interesting!

I also knew some hams that were a little older than me (when I first
came back from Southern California in 1983) who were working on
mainframes.    After working for -hours- on something, one of them cam
out wearing a big gold platten on his head, like a halo...  I had just
witnessed my first 'crashed disk'.

> I still think they (IBM) are making bad decisions but who knows?

They went with Linux in 2003... couldn't be -all- bad ;-)

Where is Channing, anyway?