[SATLUG] SuSE 10.3 and Automatic Updates

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 8 15:02:01 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 2:53 PM, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:

> Geoff wrote:
> > Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> >
> >>   This may be the case with your system as if I try to update I get
> >> the same behavior.  Also this happened to me on
> >> Feisty as well, eventually the repositories were updated and the
> >> system corrected itself.
> >>

> > 5 days worth?
> >
> my current error only concerns 5 specific packages in compiz. all other
> packages update properly.  Last time this happened (in fiesty) it was 3
> with amarok.  in fiesty I had to wait till the next release (gutsy) for
> the update manager to clear.  I fully expect that I will have to wait
> until april (the Hardy release) until the update manager clears it self
> up.  From what i have been able to figure out is that there is a known
> discrepancy between the ubuntu repositories and the medibuntu
> repository.  I would first look into your repositories for the answer.
> there may be a conflict between version.

This is exactly the problem.  If the repos don't provide updated packages
for the dependencies, or if one of the dependency updates break one of their
dependencies (dependency hell sound familiar?), then the package managers
exhibit the symptoms mentioned.  Usually the more "professional" or
"prosumer" repos are historically less encumbered by this problem, but it
still happens.