[SATLUG] USB device encryption

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 8 15:18:40 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 1:56 PM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 11:53 AM, John Ziriax <ziriax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone come across a solution to encrypting removable devices
> > while maintaining portability between Linux and Windows?

> I have not been able to find one as of yet.

As I asked John Z, What functionality/feature is missing for you?

> IronKey claims that they will come out with a linux compatible version
> soon and it is hardware based
> encryption.

I assume that we are looking for a "Driver-Less" solution so that you can
access the encrypted volume without installing anything on the Host system.

Check out TrueCrypt "Traveller Mode" at
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=traveller-mode

It requires "Admin" to run, so that may be just short of what you need:
complete user-space cross-platform encryption software.

I am also interested in anyone that has such a solution.  IronKey does look
like the closest shot...
jp