[SATLUG] USB device encryption

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 8 15:18:40 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 1:56 PM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 11:53 AM, John Ziriax <ziriax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone come across a solution to encrypting removable devices
> > while maintaining portability between Linux and Windows?

> I have not been able to find one as of yet.

As I asked John Z, What functionality/feature is missing for you?

> IronKey claims that they will come out with a linux compatible version
> soon and it is hardware based
> encryption.

I assume that we are looking for a "Driver-Less" solution so that you can
access the encrypted volume without installing anything on the Host system.

Check out TrueCrypt "Traveller Mode" at

It requires "Admin" to run, so that may be just short of what you need:
complete user-space cross-platform encryption software.

I am also interested in anyone that has such a solution.  IronKey does look
like the closest shot...