[SATLUG] Re: USB device encryption

John Ziriax ziriax at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:56:11 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 4:40 PM, John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 3:33 PM, John Ziriax <ziriax at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The worry is the loss of an unencrypted drive.
>

> Sure
>

> > The problem is to be able to read the drive in any computer you choose.
> > The limitation appears to be that a privileged account is required on
> > each computer for an initial install. So public computers would be
> > out.
>

> Yep.  Interesting problem.
>
> I would like to combine it with some Portable Apps too.
>

> If you are talking PortableApps.com, you really don't need Cross Platform,
> as those are windows only apps.  In which case, Toucan on
> PortableApps.commay fit the bill.
>

> > Ii'll look a PGP later.
>

> AFAIK, if you use gnuPGP in a cross-platform implementation, you have to
> decrypt the data to use it, and that decryption will be to some temp
> storage, would could compromise your security concerns.
>

> jp
> --

John
Thanks for your comments. You've got the idea. The role of the
Portable Apps is based on the assumption that the public computer is
Windoze. Toucan would be interesting if the files could be accessed
from Linux, my preferred environment. In Wine maybe?? Linux is not
such a problem as laptops hard drives can be encrypted easily with
Debian or Ubuntu alternate install.

Your point about PGP is well taken. The portable Apps might avoid this
problem as my understanding is that they keep files on the memory
stick vs the hard drive. But that is probably less of a threat than a
lost USB device, memory stick or hard drive.

John