[SATLUG] IBM Linux Commercial

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 17:07:52 CST 2008

Ernest De Leon wrote:
> LOL so I hear...but I saw the documentary on the History Channel about the
> hippies...it looks like it was a cool time.  I can tell you that living in
> the San Francisco Bay Area now...it's nothing like in that documentary...it
> is actually kinda sad...I even walked over to that Haight Ashbury where it
> all started.  It's kind of decrepit now.
> On Jan 8, 2008 11:40 AM, Geoff <geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:
>> Ernest De Leon wrote:
>>> 1957 and 1958...wow...I wish I could have lived my 20s in the 60s (as it
>> were lol).
>> You wouldn't have remembered it

1966 (or maybe it was 65):  My girlfriend and I drove to SF to see Sandy
Bull at the Filmore.  The opening act was Big Brother and the Holding
Company (sans Joplin, guess she was busy elsewhere that evening or maybe
she was on before we got there).  It was strange, exciting, and
frightening all at once.

I worked for Cecils Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor in Monterey, a block
from the fair grounds where they held the first Monterey Pop Festival
(The Monterey Jazz Festival had long been an annual event) and I heard
Hendrix, while I was loading my metro van, without any clue who he was.
  I was in Frankfurt in 1970, new who he was by then, and opted so save
a few bucks by skipping his concert.

Sometimes, life is about timing.