[SATLUG] Re: USB device encryption

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 8 17:32:44 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 4:56 PM, John Ziriax <ziriax at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 4:40 PM, John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> > On Jan 8, 2008 3:33 PM, John Ziriax <ziriax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I would like to combine it with some Portable Apps too.
> >
> > If you are talking PortableApps.com, you really don't need Cross
> Platform,
> > as those are windows only apps.  In which case, Toucan on
> > PortableApps.commay fit the bill.
> >
> --
>
> John
> Thanks for your comments. You've got the idea. The role of the
> Portable Apps is based on the assumption that the public computer is
> Windoze. Toucan would be interesting if the files could be accessed
> from Linux, my preferred environment. In Wine maybe?? Linux is not
> such a problem as laptops hard drives can be encrypted easily with
> Debian or Ubuntu alternate install.

Appears that the author of Toucan has an Alpha running on linux.  The
details are sketchy, but the screenies indicate that a linux version is
possible, if not probable.
http://portableapps.com/node/9421

> Your point about PGP is well taken. The portable Apps might avoid this
> problem as my understanding is that they keep files on the memory
> stick vs the hard drive. But that is probably less of a threat than a
> lost USB device, memory stick or hard drive.

It would be nice to have a user space encryption scheme that works across
any system.  The problem though is non-trivial.  It seems that the U3
construct would be close, since the filesystem concerns are mitigated by the
use of a "virtual" cdrom and iso9660/UDF.

jp