[SATLUG] any experiences with Ghost 4 Linux

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 8 17:48:57 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 4:56 PM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

> John, how does Clonezilla work with larger partitions than what the
> image was created with? This is one thing I really don't like. I want
> the ability to take our 1 Linux image and install it in any number of
> computers with varying sizes of hard drives.

Admittedly, I have not tested this particular example, but my assumption
would be that the destination partition must be >= the source.  I would then
assume that in the case of an arbitrarily larger block device, the
filesystem would not have knowledge of the outlying blocks, so the file
systems extend routine would be needed to address the new blocks that the
original did not have.  I am not sure if clonezilla integrates the extend
into its routine, but even if it did not the cloned machine could have a
simple runonce routine that extends it on boot (or even immediately
following the clone.

I may try this on a VM, but I feel reasonably confident that a minimum of
work would be required for Clonezilla to fulfill your needs...

Let me know what you think!
jp