[SATLUG] Re: USB device encryption

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Jan 8 19:12:45 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 5:54 PM, Brinkley Harrell <jbharrell at fusemeister.com> wrote:

> John Ziriax wrote:
> > The worry is the loss of an unencrypted drive. The problem is to be
> > able to read the drive in any computer you choose.
>
> TrueCrypt in the "traveller" installation mode (software + encrypted
> file on device) does not require admin mode to install anything. You run
> the software and mount the volume.

It seems that their documentation is out of date, it is specifically states
that admin rights are needed.  Having not tested myself, I had to trust
their info.

> On Windows with device automatic interaction enabled, TrueCrypt will use
> the autorun.inf file to invoke
> the TrueCrypt application for you. I use it this way with any Windows
> computer.

Even a guest account, or a kyosk-style locked down library machine?

> On my Linux system, I have the TrueCrypt binary installed. It will read
> and process the exact same file on the USB device.

Agreed, but don't you need the kernel module?

In fact, I have a fully encrypted USB drive as a device that I use the
> Traveler software to mount. In other words, I can use the second USB
> drive to mount the device.

Interesting.  I personally would not like the requirement to carry 2 sticks,
but in a high-security environ, I could see the value of splittable
dependencies.

> TrueCrypt is cool -- coming soon to a Mac near you -- and that will give
> you full spectrum computer device management.

I agree that a true multi-platform encryption system is a win.  Not sure
what you are saying with "Full Spectrum Computer Device Management" but it
is a cool buzz-phrase anyway!