[SATLUG] Sharing windows files across subnets and the internet

Jon Mark Allen jm at allensonthe.net
Wed Jan 9 14:41:59 CST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:31 -0600, Samuel Leon wrote:
> I have a remote computer across the internet set up as a security
> surveillance server monitoring several cameras.  It runs windows
> unfortunately (yea I know, I am working on it) and I need a way to get
> into it to download the video files that it has and I also need to be
> able to delete those files before they eat all of the drive space.  I
> was thinking about doing windows sharing over a VPN but that looks to be
> pretty complicated and requiring a WINS server.  Is there any kind of
> (secure) ftp server software that I could install on the remote computer
> to access it or something?
> Thanks
> Sam

(Trying again from an address that's actually subscribed to the
list... :o)

You could go the other way: install pscp (from PuTTY) and create a
scheduled task to copy the files accross the Internet to an SSH server,
verify the copy was successful, and then delete the local files.

You still have to worry about the host security and the integrity of the
files before they're copied, but it sounds like you have that problem
right now regardless of the method used.

/* If you haven't found something strange during the day,
it hasn't been much of a day.
-- John A. Wheeler */