[SATLUG] Sharing windows files across subnets and the internet

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Wed Jan 9 16:48:11 CST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 11:31 AM, Samuel Leon <leon36 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a remote computer across the internet set up as a security
> surveillance server monitoring several cameras.  It runs windows
> unfortunately (yea I know, I am working on it) and I need a way to get
> into it to download the video files that it has and I also need to be
> able to delete those files before they eat all of the drive space.  I
> was thinking about doing windows sharing over a VPN but that looks to be
> pretty complicated and requiring a WINS server.  Is there any kind of
> (secure) ftp server software that I could install on the remote computer
> to access it or something?

On the VPN side:  I use Hamachi.  If you use the Hamachi IP for either CIFS
or RDP, it works.  There is a cost if you want it to run as a service.
OpenVPN is more complicated, but works the same way.

You could use PPTP if you have a Linksys WRT54 router hacked with DD-WRT, or
other such; Windows Server has PPTP support as well.

On the replication side, you could use WinsRSYNC or WinSCP to SSH the
pictures on a schedule to your box.  For my larger backup needs, I use Super
Flexible File Synchronizer, jets3t_sync, or s3sync.rb to upload to amazonS3
and then remote access is via S3Fox, BucketExplorer, JetS3t, s3cmd.rb, or
any other S3 tool.

WINS is only needed for Name-to-IP lookups.  Fully qualified IP UNC example
<\\192.168.0.1\WebPix\Blah> should always work.  The problem is NetBIOS
broadcasts over VPNs tend to not work, thus the need for WINS, so if you
remove the need for Name-to-IP lookups, your needs are simplified.

HTH, and sorry for the rushed type job,
John