[SATLUG] IBM Linux Commercial

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 10 05:56:58 CST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 13:29 -0600, Vern Davis wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 9:40 AM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> > >
> > I think it sounds very like IBM in the 50s. I went to work for IBM as a
> > Customer Engineer (punched card machine repairman) in 1956 and found
> > them to be the most humane Co. with regard to their employees and
> > dedicated to customer service. I left IBM for higher pay, I have often
> > wondered what my career would have been like had I stayed. Ohhhh well.
> >
> > They introduced the first commercial computer, 705, in 1957 at Norton
> > AFB  in 1958 where I worked. The installation filled a room 30x35' and
> > required 35 tons of A/C to cool it.  The CPU had 10k magnetic bead
> > memory. data entry was via typewriter and punch cards. Output was to
> > Tape drives 20 online 8 off line and three 150 line per minute printers
> > plus punch card output. It operated 24/7 processing material inventory.
> > 'Old' herb
> >

> It sounds like Herb may be a front-runner in the
> I-used-to-work-on-older-stuff-than-that contest.

It surely beats the Sperry UNIVAC 1104 I wrote COBOL on in 1976. That
was mostly keypunch, but there were a few flexowriter line
printer/terminals as well.  It took up a large compartment on the ship,
but there wasn't a CRT or mouse anywhere.  Even so, that system was able
to keep track of every spare part in the Sixth Fleet.  I'm not sure
newer systems have contributed to any increase in productivity.

Al Castanoli
Computers save time like kudzu prevents soil erosion.