[SATLUG] New Ubuntu Networking Topic...

Ed etillman93 at peoplepc.com
Thu Jan 10 13:49:47 CST 2008

Hi Folks;

'Been a while since I visited, and I have some Ubuntu networking
questions, if someone has the time and willingness to go into detail
over them. Thanks in advance...

I have a mixed wired/wireless network in my home, composed of a _Windoze
2K server_ (wired), an_ Ubuntu Linux tower_ (wired, relatively new, can
use as an experimental lab...), an _Ubuntu Linux laptop_ (wireless) I've
been using for nearly a year, and several visiting family members with
_wireless Windoze laptops_ who occasionally hook into my network.

Problem: All the Linux machines, and the visiting Windoze laptops, can
see and share files from my Windoze server. However, I can't seem to
make the Ubuntu Linux shares visible to, and share-able on the network.
I want to learn basic networking and file/application sharing from the
Linux end, because, I eventually want to do away with Windows entirely
in my house, and go fully Linux, save for my Windoze laptop-bearing
visitors, who will also still need to access my then-all-Linux network.

File sharing in/with Windoze/NTFS is relatively easy, but at the cost of
being leaky as a sieve. Any suggestions? As mentioned above, I have a
Linux machine I can use as a server lab if/when help becomes available.

Cheers;
Ed