[SATLUG] New Ubuntu Networking Topic...

Ed etillman93 at peoplepc.com
Thu Jan 10 15:46:44 CST 2008

Hi Folks;
>> 'Been a while since I visited, and I have some Ubuntu networking
>> questions, if someone has the time and willingness to go into detail
>> over them. Thanks in advance...
>>
>> I have a mixed wired/wireless network in my home, composed of a _Windoze
>> 2K server_ (wired), an_ Ubuntu Linux tower_ (wired, relatively new, can
>> use as an experimental lab...), an _Ubuntu Linux laptop_ (wireless) I've
>> been using for nearly a year, and several visiting family members with
>> _wireless Windoze laptops_ who occasionally hook into my network.
>>
>> Problem: All the Linux machines, and the visiting Windoze laptops, can
>> see and share files from my Windoze server. However, I can't seem to
>> make the Ubuntu Linux shares visible to, and share-able on the network.
>> I want to learn basic networking and file/application sharing from the
>> Linux end, because, I eventually want to do away with Windows entirely
>> in my house, and go fully Linux, save for my Windoze laptop-bearing
>> visitors, who will also still need to access my then-all-Linux network.
>>
>> File sharing in/with Windoze/NTFS is relatively easy, but at the cost of
>> being leaky as a sieve. Any suggestions? As mentioned above, I have a
>> Linux machine I can use as a server lab if/when help becomes available.
>>
>> Cheers;
>> Ed
>>

>> This link should help you out...
>>
>> http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/SAMBA_Filesharing
>>
>> Ernest
Thanks, but it didn't help much.  I have samba installed on both linux
machines, and also have selected files shared on both.  The tower knows
the laptop is there, but can't access anything from it, but the laptop
doesn't know the tower exists.  Again, both can see and share from the
Windoze tower...

Cheers...
Ed