[SATLUG] any experiences with Ghost 4 Linux

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Fri Jan 11 10:00:32 CST 2008

On 1/8/08, Jonathan Hull <masterr at gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesn't. I assume it would require another tool.
>
> The closest thing I have done is clone a 30 gig drive to a 120GB drive
> using dd. (dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc) The clone worked, but then I
> had to use gparted to resize the partition (ntfs in this case) to
> 120GB.
>

> On Jan 8, 2008 7:05 PM, John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> > On Jan 8, 2008 6:53 PM, Jonathan Hull <masterr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Anyway, I have never tried it but I have heard it is good. Personally
> > > I just do it by hand with dd and chain it with split and gzip/bzip2.
> >

> > How would your system handle the case referenced by Jeremy (Arbitrarily
> > sized destination)?

 Use storix, it is not free but there is a 30 day trial, I used that to
clone 42 redhat servers in 7 days (4 different types of hardware with disk
sizes from 146GB to 1.8 TB).  The network version is fast, resizing LVM's
and partitioning is a breeze and different hardware does not matter (as long
as you have the correct kernel modules (damn mpt disk array), good thing
RHEL is like a kitchen sink and then some).  It is not a free program but
works great, and one license will let you clone to multiple servers from one
image server.  I just had storix create a boot cd and put the image on a 2GB
thumbdrive and went to town.

http://www.storix.com/products_overview/

Sean