[SATLUG] Trinity Rescue Linux high recommended (G4L)

Stephen Gutknecht (RoundSparrow) Stephen at RoundSparrow.com
Fri Jan 11 12:24:39 CST 2008

For me, it always comes down to new hardware.  A lot of these rescue
disks do not keep the Linux Kernel current and I find the newer
version of an Ethernet or SATA chipset isn't recognized....

For me, in 2007, Trinity proved to work where others failed.
Including on a couple laptops with newer chipsets (Santa Rosa).  I
haven't stuck with "System Rescue CD" as I had problems with the
latest version at a given point in time (August 2007).

But new hardware is a changing target... Frankly, a lot of these
rescue disks are out there are not maintained...

I honestly feel this is an area where Linux isn't as bright as it
needs to be.  The whole industry (meaning including Microsoft) really
needs a open source / license free solution for
booting/repairing/virus removal/hard drive replacement/etc.  And like
many other areas - Linux has 50 solutions but only a handful are well
maintained.  And even then, drivers (Kernel) versions often lag.

Trinity allows you to boot and be a sshd server easily... and a Samba
server easily... it makes peer to peer backup and recovery pretty
simple, no matter if your second system is Windows, OSX, Linux, etc.
I really think it needs more attention.  I wish I had found it 2 years
ago ;)

  Stephen Gutknecht
  Canyon Lake, TX