[SATLUG] raid questions

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 17:06:36 CST 2008

With only two drives, you are directly causing disk contention issues (for
the RAID 0 set)  Whatever gain you would have seen from having RAID 0 is
negated because the RAID 1 is slowing the disk set down to it's own
performance level.  I would go so far as to say that you are 'damaging' your
disks, you are just negating any type of performance boost you would
otherwise have gotten.  After reading that post, going under the assumption
that you will not be able to get a 3rd disk to make a RAID 5, and that you
do have *some* data that you value and do not want to lose being stored on
these disks, I would go with a RAID 1 for the entire disk.  Unfortunately,
with only two disks, there is no way to get extreme performance AND
redundancy at the same time.  You can also consider making one disk the
system disk and the other a data disk.  This would give you a *slight*
performance boost because the OS would not be waiting for information during
a data read/write, but this also negates any type of redundancy.  If it were
me, I would just go pure RAID 1 until I could get another disk in the array.

Ernest