[SATLUG] Re: Partition Table Repair

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sat Jan 12 19:51:53 CST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 5:00 AM, Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 7:17 PM, scs at worldlinkisp.com <scs at worldlinkisp.com>
> wrote:
> > Pleasant surprise, TestDisk shows:
> <<SNIP>>
>
> More research in order before proceeding and attempting
> > repair.
> >
> > Strange that Gparted wouldn't show this.

GParted looks at the partition table as it exists.  It does not scan the
data to look for typical "Partition delimiters" to guess what could be.  I
have had a situation where the disk had been repartitioned a couple of
times, and the partitions were not zeroed (nor full of data), so testdisk
picked up both sets of partitions, so it is up to the person to determine
which ones were correct

> I've had good luck with testdisk .. used it to recover someones partitions
> and reiser filesystems on a drive that was partially zerofilled.  Got 90%+
> of the data back. :)

I second that.  It is a really good tool, almost invaluable.
jp