[SATLUG] Partition Table Repair

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 13 00:24:35 CST 2008

I have a WD HD on a Win XP system that crapped out on me (I think there
was some kind of HW failure), and when I tried to get XP to recognize it
as a secondary drive (after I put in a new one as a primary), XP decided
to start formatting it before I got a change to do some data recovery
(damned XP!!!).

I tried several products I found to try & recover my files, and I found
one that was able to recover something over 90% of my files.  It's
called "Quick Recovery", and they have Windows (various flavors), Mac, &
Linux versions.  It is available at www.unistal.com, and it cost $69 for
the Windows version (prices vary for other versions).  The other
software packages I tried could only find something in the single-digit
percent range in terms of the quantity of files, and most turned out to
be files that were useless to me.

Now "Quick Recovery" not without its problems (it has a number of bugs
in the user front-end when it actually comes time to recover the files),
but considering that the MBR was corrupted & rebuilt, and the drive was
partially re-formatted (it wasn't allowed to finish), and it still found
and successfully recovered such a high percentage of files, I don't
think the price was too bad or the bugs that much of a deal-breaker.
It's just been a time-consuming proposition trying to sift through so
much data to find the stuff that was not on the previous back-up that I
really need.