[SATLUG] OT: Ratio of IT Staff to Employees

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 04:53:07 CST 2008

With 15 servers and ~1TB of data, one server admin is good enough if you do
not have to worry about desktop/laptop duty.  Since you are using an all
windows platform with AD integration, SCOM or even MOM (2005) would be your
best bet to pro actively monitor all of the servers.  There are management
packs for Dell open manage software as well so that you can keep tabs on
hardware that doesn't show errors in the event logs (such as PERC
controllers.)  I suppose the challenge for you is to make management
understand the dividing line behind server side and user side
administration, and have them properly staff each side.  I'm sad to hear
that the consultant ditched VMWare as it is a very powerful tool that I use
exclusively in most of my enterprise infrastructure projects.  Normally, 125
users only warrants one full time desktop support person, but since you are
a multi-site business, I would recommend two.  That would be three full time
IT staff total.  You should also train one of the desktop people to handle
routing server admin tasks like managing backup tapes and/or routine AD
management tasks.  This will give them something to do if there is a slow
day on the desktop side, but more importantly give you breathing room for
vacation.  Utilizing tools like Symantec Backup Exec will also help reduce
the amount of daily tasks you have to deal with.  With system
administration, automation is key.  The less you have to do on a daily
basis, the better off you will be to handle small emergencies that will pop
up.  SCOM/MOM will allow you to keep a vigilant eye over the health of your
entire organization from a single station.  Naturally there are other small
things you can do to help you out, but those would vary depending on the
exact setup you have and the daily operations of your business.  Hope that
helps.

Ernest