[SATLUG] OT: Ratio of IT Staff to Employees

David Power dpower at hal-pc.org
Sun Jan 13 10:40:27 CST 2008

I've managed several shops and like the 50 to one unless there are some
deadline driven specialty apps or processes that are being supported.
Multiple campuses would justify extra person. Its hard to get by, even in a
100 person shop with less than two, somebody has to be there for vacations
or sick days.

The craziest place I every worked had around 4300 employees and over 700 IT
staffers and the network was always going down, sometime for days (I was in
a different division). I never did figure out what they were all doing.
Putting 1 sheet of paper at a time in the printers perhaps? It was a
regulated utility, imagine that.

David

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:23 PM