[SATLUG] OT: Ratio of IT Staff to Employees

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 13 11:30:44 CST 2008

I work for a somewhat large international aerospace company with a few
dozen locations around the world.  Some are small service centers with
only a handful of people (& therefore no on-site IT support for them),
and a few others (like here in S.A.) have several hundred with a small
dedicated IT staff.  There is also a central software development team
to support our enterprise-wide internally developed & maintained
production data collection & management system (for parts & labor hour
tracking, inventory management, billing, etc.).

Our S.A. operation has between 700 & 750 full-time people, but not
everyone has PCs and/or phones (the IT people also do phone system
support).  I would estimate we have around 300-350 PCs & laptops, and a
comparable number of phones.  The bulk of the workforce is in one
building, with about 2 dozen in a separate building about 1/4 mile
away.  To support this plant, we have 3 full-time IT people to cover the
servers (which to us is a "mission-critical resource") and the daily
user PC support.  Everything is Windows-based, but they do have some
automated system monitoring software in place, and it appears that all 3
people are cross-trained to support either servers or PCs/laptops
(although I'm sure the level of knowledge between them varies).

I really can't give you detailed specifics since I don't work in that
department, but as least you can get an idea of the workload per person.