[SATLUG] Help with Boot & Keyboard Problem

Mario Compean mariocompeanc at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 13:33:22 CST 2008

 I'm wondering if anyone can help with this.
  I replaced the keyboard on my granddaughter's laptop that had a broken “S” key.
    It was working ok except for the broken key. Now with the new keyboard installed the system alarm goes on at booting and stops the process until I press the speaker volume button. It will boot ok after that,  but  when typing, when I press the space bar, it keeps spacing continuously until it wraps to the next line..
  I've done a couple restore jobs (XP system restore) and re-installed the drivers twice from the XP CD that came with the machine but that has not fixed the problems. I also removed and reinstalled the keyboard drivers via the device manager.  LAST, I have an email out to HP support but want to check here for insights.   Can anyone shed some light on how to fix this? Will a re-install of the OS be necessary?
 Here's the system info on the box:

The box  is Compaq Presario V2309US, XP Home SP2, 512 MB RAM.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    System Info
 OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
 Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
 System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
 System Model Presario V2000 (EC156UA#ABA)
 System Type X86-based PC
 Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1496 Mhz
 BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.22, 8/8/2005
 SMBIOS Version 2.31
 Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
 System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
 Locale United States
 Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
 User Name MAUDESLAPTOP\Mariana Compean
 Time Zone Central Standard Time
 Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
 Available Physical Memory 130.27 MB
 Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
 Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
 Page File Space 1.10 GB
 Page File C:\pagefile.sys
 Description Quick Launch Buttons
 Name Enhanced (101- or 102-key)
 Layout 00000409
 PNP Device ID ACPI\PNP0303\4&32D50C2&0
 Number of Function Keys 12
 I/O Port 0x00000060-0x00000060
 I/O Port 0x00000064-0x00000064
 IRQ Channel IRQ 1
 Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 51.50 KB (52,736 bytes), 8/4/2004 7:00 AM)
  Thanks in advance,