[SATLUG] OT: Ratio of IT Staff to Employees

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 16:31:42 CST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 2:24 AM, Eric Haugen <erichaugen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to convince my boss that he needs to hire possibly 2-3 new IT
> staff members since the current situation is that I am the only full time
> IT
> person on the payroll.  We have contracted with an outside IT firm  for a
> guy to work on some large projects and act as the department coordinator.
>
> Current employee to IT ratio would make that about 140:1  This would not
> be
> so bad if we were all in 1 building but we have 9 building on the main
> campus and 7 remote locations.
>
> That being said what is the ratios in you your businesses?
> Are there any articles I can use as ammo for my argument to hire some more
> help?
> So far I have come up with these
> http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=784840
> http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13569_22-155252.html
> http://news.zdnet.com/html/z/wb/6099383.html
>

> Thanks for your help,
> Eric Haugen

The company I work for in Dallas (which isn't even a technology company) has
a 9:1 IT to employee ratio (10% of the company is IT).  10% may seem high,
but this includes Helpdesk, Desktop Support, Server Admins, Network Admins,
Developers, QA, and managers in the IT department.  How you balance that 10%
will vary by company .. for example, Desktop/Helpdesk had to be expanded
because we have 3 locations instead of 1.  I thought 10% was really high at
first too, but there are times when it seems like we need more people,
especially developers for heavy projects.

I can't remember where the 10% number came from, but it works out pretty
well.

-Henry