[SATLUG] OT: Ratio of IT Staff to Employees

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Sun Jan 13 20:41:55 CST 2008

   The company I work for in Dallas (which isn't even a technology company)

> a 9:1 IT to employee ratio (10% of the company is IT).  10% may seem high,
> but this includes Helpdesk, Desktop Support, Server Admins, Network
> Admins,
> Developers, QA, and managers in the IT department.  How you balance that
> 10%
> will vary by company .. for example, Desktop/Helpdesk had to be expanded
> because we have 3 locations instead of 1.  I thought 10% was really high
> at
> first too, but there are times when it seems like we need more people,
> especially developers for heavy projects.
> I can't remember where the 10% number came from, but it works out pretty
> well.
> -Henry

But you cannot really go by ratio of employee.  We only have about 130
people on the project , 6 of which are   *NIX  sys admins and and 6 are
windows admins.  So like 11:1 ratio, seems groovy.  However (there is always
a catch) the *NIX admins have 108 HP-UX servers and 42 linux servers.  The
winblow guys have about  35 servers  and about 150 workstations and 30
laptops.  So that totally kills the 11:1 ratio.  So maybe you should go by
the machine to admin ratio instead of employees.