[SATLUG] Re: [alg] Scalix

tweeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Mon Jan 14 12:28:49 CST 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 08:24, Robert Parkhurst wrote:
> Hey All,
> I'm curious if anyone has ever worked, or knows anything about Scalix
> (www.scalix.com).
> It's an OpenSource email server and my company is kind of interested in
> maybe using it as our own.  Mostly we need it to be able to integrate
> with Outlook/WindowsMobile phones (I know, it's the devil) as well as
> the web front end so we can remotely access it and whatnot.

[CCing a couple other LUG lists on this reply]

Scalix (based on the older, now open based on HP OpenMail) can be more
expensive than MS-Exchange at the high end:
(possible MS bias with these guys)

Scalix sounds like it mest matches MS-compatibility wise...  However can be
very expensive on the 100% MS-Exchange version of the license is purchased.

Zimbra (recently bought by Yahoo) is the other big player in this Exchange
replacement space.  While Zimbra is not as much of a drop in 100% replacement
for MS-Exchange, it offers BETTER functionality and many other cool features
(Web-services  content auto-URLizing that can tie into DB queries, PBX/VoIP
phone dialing, XML data linking, etc) that MS-Exchange (or Scalix) has never

So for 100% MS-Exchange compatibility, Scalix looks to be the way to go (just
examine all the pricing before jumping in).. but if you have a lot of other
Web-services based systems that you want to tie into (ticking system,
shipping, PBX/phone, employee directory, etc), then Zimbra may be for you.

expressly indicated, is confidential and privileged information of Rackspace
Managed Hosting. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed
material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the
original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.