[SATLUG] PS3 Linux... why?

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:23:58 CST 2008

Out here at Berkeley, I know they've built a few linux clusters with PS3s
and there is some commercial product out now that basically sells you a set
amount of PS3s preconfigured into a cluster for HPC applications.  The
possibilities are endless with this machine, but there are a few drawbacks.
For one, of the 7 synergistic processing elements inside, you can only use 6
(think 6 CPUs).  The seventh is locked down by the hypervisor.  There are
512MB of RAM onboard, but only 256 are accessible by these 6 SPEs...the
other 256 is reserved for graphics.  If my PS3 weren't still in warranty, I
would crack it open and see if I could max out the RAM somehow, but as is,
it's a little slow.  Either way, it's always fun playing with new hardware