[SATLUG] OT: Ratio of IT Staff to Employees

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:54:22 CST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 2:24 AM, Eric Haugen <erichaugen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to convince my boss that he needs to hire possibly 2-3 new IT
> staff members since the current situation is that I am the only full time
> IT
> person on the payroll.  We have contracted with an outside IT firm  for a
> guy to work on some large projects and act as the department coordinator.
> Current employee to IT ratio would make that about 140:1  This would not
> be
> so bad if we were all in 1 building but we have 9 building on the main
> campus and 7 remote locations.

One of the best things you can do is provide tracking of how members of your
team spend your time.  Keep track of current and future projects, how many
hours are spent on issues, and what things don't get done because there are
not enough people.  Ticketing systems are invaluable for this, as well as
keeping work logs.  If you have to spend time walking/driving between
buildings, track that too .. if someone is spending half their day
traveling, it may be worthwhile to hire someone full-time in those remote
locations.  You can throw numbers from other companies at your boss all day,
but at the end he/she will simply ask "What are these people going to do if
we hire them?"  There are plenty of open source project tracking solutions
out there, such as RT (Request Tracker) and dotProject (PHP equiv to MS