[SATLUG] Sustainable IT

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 20:46:26 CST 2008

The 'numbers' are simply the idea that Vista will not run well on most
current business desktop hardware, and the result of replacing all the
machines will create a lot of waste (from the older desktops that will need
to be recycled or disposed of in some way.)  It's not creating unnecessary
waste that is green in this case.  One big mistake the green industry made
initially was trying to convince people to buy into green technology or
spend money in general to be 'greener.'  Now the effort is more geared to
reducing waste and fuel consumption.  Not only does this approach not
require anyone to spend any money, in many cases it will help people to save
money as well.  I'm no environmentalist, believe me, but if I can spend less
and help the planet, I'm all for it.  I want to make sure there are plenty
of glaciers, icebergs and snow covered lands for the penguins and polar
bears.

Ernest