[SATLUG] Sustainable IT

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Tue Jan 15 21:10:04 CST 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 18:53:49 Brian Lewis wrote:
> I'd like to see the numbers you used to make a claim that Linux and XP
> are "greener" than vista.
>
> Don't get me wrong I'm 100% MS free, but a claim like this is quote
> inane without providing facts and numbers.

I don't know about vista.. but in some of my OS/thermal tests... Linux has
always run cooler than windows in general (separate from frequency scaling
features in such).  I'm not sure if it's the difference between the linux and
windows kernel or schedulers, but the CPU is definitely more lightly loaded
at idle (continuously) in Linux than it is in Windows.

Tweeks