[SATLUG] program or cron job to ping internal devices & email

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Wed Jan 16 08:02:15 CST 2008

twistedpickles wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 7:12 AM, Ed Coates <edcoates at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Big Brother (or whatever it's calling itself) comes to mind.  Only
>> problem is that you need an agent on each box you want monitored.  It
>> can also monitor a whole lot more and send email/pages and things
>>

> Is it possible for  SNMP to  have the capability to do this?

I was thinking that you probably want to look into setting up SNMP
management. Not only will an SNMP manager poll your device, many
management apps will do service level polling and provide a myriad of
notification options. After some time, you can use the data collected to
do trend analysis on your systems to either justify new purchases or
make cost saving suggestions.