[SATLUG] program or cron job to ping internal devices & email

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jan 16 10:58:59 CST 2008

On 1/16/08, Ed Coates wrote:

>  Big Brother (or whatever it's calling itself) comes to mind.  Only
>  problem is that you need an agent on each box you want monitored.  It
>  can also monitor a whole lot more and send email/pages and things

For the lowest level of management (do I get a response to ping or
not?), tools like Big Brother or Big Sister should not require any
kind of agent on the remote end.  In fact, I think low-level
monitoring tools like Big Brother or Big Sister don't require any
kind of agent on the remote end, although they may be able to make
use of them.

Lower-level tools like Big Brother and Big Sister are limited by the
fact that ping packets are treated differently from normal TCP/IP
packets by many routers and switches, so a host may respond to a ping
and you don't see it because the network was busy and the response
was dropped.  They also suffer from the problem that they may respond
to ping but not actually be operating properly.

More full-featured network monitoring/management tools like Nagios or
Zenoss will require an agent on the remote end to get full monitoring
and management, but again I don't think they necessarily require any
kind of agent on the remote end to do the most basic monitoring.