[SATLUG] What All Systems has to say about Linux

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 12:39:08 CST 2008

Recently my friend has been getting frustrated by the problems with Windows and all the spamming and advertising going on with it such as his software for printing trying to sell him ink, etc. I suggested that he use Linux and get all of his software for free without very small risks of viruses and similar software. Also, I'm wondering when the next install fest is, so that someone could help him get started if needed. Here's what he told me about All Systems. Could anyone comment on this or verify whether it is true or false?

"  I'm still a little wary about Linux. I was talking to a guy at All Systems
go about this and he said Linux does nothing for you; you have to do it all
yourself. No windows oriented software will work for you and all the
programs you are now using my have to be trashed.??
Since mostly what I do is read and write email and search the web this may
not be too bad, but then come
having to handle picture files, playing the hundreds of tunes I download,
hook up to my peripheral devices such a printers, scanners and fax.
It might be a major bitch to have to re-orient all that stuff,  I JUST DON'T