[SATLUG] What All Systems has to say about Linux

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu Jan 17 08:58:16 CST 2008

jaret wrote:

> The top computer list (for servers) are nice numbers to convince the
> boss to move back-office servers from Windows to Linux.  But for me
> the list has little relevance for using Linux on the desktop b/c Linux
> has not filled my desktop needs. For example two weeks ago I installed
> GnuCash and tried to convert QIF files. Didn't work. Installed
> Quickbooks on Windows. Everything works.
>
> The top computer list (for desktops) appears to be Windows averaging
> 70% to 85%. Wikipedia link follows. Includes multiple surveys. Be sure
> to read how the surveys were conducted.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_desktop_operating_systems

I've been running my Linux Server since SuSE 7.0 came out.  I've forayed
into the desktop gui a few times with varying results, but to be honest,
I was over-taxing the hardware, and what hardware I had wasn't what I'd
call 'current'.  I'm not saying that a Compaq dual 733MHz machine w/half
a gig of ram is current either, but it allows me to have the machine run
as a server (simple mail/file/web(apache)shell) but to have gnome on the
desktop, as well.  All of this is possible, because the OS is stable.