[SATLUG] What All Systems has to say about Linux

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Thu Jan 17 13:38:08 CST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:53:14AM -0600, Geoff wrote:
> I know I'm asking for it, but ok, Brad... how do you figure that it's
> inappropriate to refer to the Supercomputing Top 500 list (which has 85%
> of all Servers in the top 500 running Linux)?

Because the features and applications needed by a desktop user have
nothing in common with the server admin's needs.

I won't ever recommend RHEL for a desktop user.  RHEL can be used as a
desktop, but I would only recommend Ubuntu or Fedora.  I would never
recommend Ubuntu as a server, it can be used as one, but I'd recommend
Debian or RHEL/CentOS.

I would never recommend Windows for a server or for a desktop though.

--

Wayne Walker

wwalker at bybent.com                    Do you use Linux?!
http://www.bybent.com                 Get Counted!  http://counter.li.org/