[SATLUG] router problem

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Fri Jan 18 06:32:32 CST 2008

Chris Lemire wrote:
>               I'm sharing the internet with someone else through a router. Everything is fine except once in a while, I'd like to play games such as Quake 4 in Linux or Call of Duty 4. My ping is so horrible, it irritates me and others to play on servers. I have full access to the router, what I'd like to do is give gaming priority over all the torrent downloads going on by the other computer to cause lag and high ping with gaming servers. Is there any other solution besides unplugging his internet temporarily from the other computer? I've already tried that and usually get sleepy and forget to plug it back in. Thanks for your time.

Some routers have QoS (Quality of Service) capabilities that will allow
you to set the priority for traffic on certain ports, MAC addresses or
IP addresses. The WRT54G with a third party firmware has those options
that you can look into if you have one.

If your roommate(s) are running big downloads, especially with
bittorrent, no amount of QoS is going to do much for you. Since
bittorrent uses many many connections, having more than a couple active
can easily overwhelm your router. Most consumer level routers just can't
handle more than a few hundred connections at once. My WRT54G really
starts to choke when it starts handling around 1000 connections.

Another factor that could be leading to your poor latency is your capped
upload throughput being saturated. As I'm sure most of us know,
typically cable and DSL providers set a lower limit on upload speeds
than they do on download speeds. If either the down or the up stream get
maxed out, your overall performance will suffer. If you were only
downloading, you would probably see a little bit better performance, but
bittorrent is a two way street in that you're downloading from multiple
sources and uploading to multiple sources.

My suggestion would be to talk to your roommate(s). This sounds like
something that could be fixed more easily with a little communication
than with a lot of technical tomfoolery. Maybe you could come to an
agreement that between 7pm and 11pm on weekdays and on weekends, no
major downloads unless you talk about it beforehand, or something along
those lines.

Good luck!

Daniel