[SATLUG] What All Systems has to say about Linux

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 07:03:59 CST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:38 -0600, Wayne Walker wrote:
[...]
> I won't ever recommend RHEL for a desktop user.  RHEL can be used as a
> desktop, but I would only recommend Ubuntu or Fedora.  I would never
> recommend Ubuntu as a server, it can be used as one, but I'd recommend
> Debian or RHEL/CentOS.

I'm using Scientific Linux, a FermiLab/CERN sponsored RHEL/CentOS like
distribution, on my desktop because it's the best tool for the job of
managing 52 UNIX boxen spread across the country. I was given a
current-technology PC to do this work, and it would have been impossible
using Windows.  I still have the PC, but my main desktop workstation's
an old Dell PowerEdge with Pentium III processors that I salvaged on its
way out to be recycled. The mainstream desktop distros didn't work well
with the PowerEdge's hardware RAID controllers and dual processors.

Once again, broadsweeping generalizations about workstation vs. server
uses don't fit all needs.

Al Castanoli, currently using PCLinuxOS on my desktop at home.