[SATLUG] router problem

Matthew Hunter matthew at infodancer.org
Fri Jan 18 09:44:12 CST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 12:28:07AM -0800, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>               I'm sharing the internet with someone else
>through a router. Everything is fine except once in a while, I'd
>like to play games such as Quake 4 in Linux or Call of Duty 4.
>My ping is so horrible, it irritates me and others to play on
>servers. I have full access to the router, what I'd like to do
>is give gaming priority over all the torrent downloads going on
>by the other computer to cause lag and high ping with gaming
>servers. Is there any other solution besides unplugging his
>internet temporarily from the other computer? I've already tried
>that and usually get sleepy and forget to plug it back in.
>Thanks for your time.

You're basically screwed, because the only thing you can do with
QoS priorities is adjust the priority of outgoing packets.  The
incoming traffic would need to be prioritized by the other end of
your connection, and I haven't seen many (any?) providers
offering that capability.

Your best bet would probably be to turn off the other computer's
internet connection in software, eg with ifdown on the
network interface, when you're gaming, or completely block the
relevant torrent ports using iptables, and just set up a cron
script to reactivate/unblock them early in the morning.  That way
you won't forget.