[SATLUG] OT... Father of Information Technology

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 21:48:43 CST 2008

Hector Bojorquez wrote:
> I love the history of computing and gadgets.
> I am fascinated by the likes of Doug Engelbart and others.. (ever heard of
> Licklider?)

Yes.

> I'd never heard of this guy until I read a Wikipedia entry on WIMAX
>
> Y'all ever heard of Claude Shannon...

Yes.

> wow.. took the Boolean concepts and came up with...well the theoretical
> underpinnings of information theory..
> this is a fascinating video
> http://www.ucsd.tv/search-details.asp?showID=6090

You may also enjoy reading the books:

The Soul Of A New Machine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soul_of_a_New_Machine

The Mythical Man-Month
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The Internet
http://www.amazon.com/Where-Wizards-Stay-Up-Late/dp/0684832674/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200713004&sr=1-1

A History of Modern Computing
http://www.amazon.com/History-Modern-Computing-2nd/dp/0262532034/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200713578&sr=1-1

There are many others.

Some other people to look at who you may or may not have heard about
before include:

Don Knuth
Alan Kay
Vinton Cerf
John Backus
Marvin Minsky
Alan Turing

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of
Giants." - Isasac Newton

  -- Bruce