[SATLUG] RAID 5 setup

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 10:00:19 CST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 7:47 AM, toddwbucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
> performance is one of my goals but I also want the data reliability of
> RAID 5.  I am also curious about what is the best format for this set up
> (ext3, riefers, xfs, ect).

As long as you backup your important data frequently, it is probably
more efficient than having RAID5.  Google does not use RAID on their
servers and instead utilize the "copy three times" philosophy.  If you
care about your data, don't use reiserfs.  XFS is probably the best
choice for you based on large writes of contiguous data (movie
files)...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."