[SATLUG] RAID 5 setup

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Jan 20 01:38:27 CST 2008

On 1/19/08, David Kowis wrote:

>  I care about my data, and I use reiserfs. Rieserfs has never let me
>  down. XFS on the other hand has.

In your particular experience, Reiserfs has never let you down.
However, the industry as a whole has a great deal more experience
with XFS, and given the fact that Hans Reiser is still being tried
for murder (last I heard), there seems to be great doubt as to
whether or not the filesystem will continue development.

I wouldn't be putting any eggs in the Reiserfs camp right now.

>  Not to start a flame war or anything, but it really matters on levels of
>  performance. They're all about equally reliable.

Performance is one issue, reliability is another.  I would violently
disagree with the claim that Reiserfs is anywhere remotely close to
being the same level of reliability as XFS.  When you run Reiserfs
for the entirety of the AOL mail system (or some equivalent thereof),
then we can revisit this discussion.

>  XFS is generally really good with really big files.

Which is what video production and video editing tends to do.