[SATLUG] program or cron job to ping internal devices & email

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 03:57:10 CST 2008

I wrote a simple script called Netmon for my own home network use that does
a lot of what you're asking about.
All the servers are stored in MySQL and the script polls ping and SNMP
uptime with a WakeOnLan option if the NIC supports it.

Here's a screenshot:  http://www.theratshack.net/netmonss.GIF

Features:
Mysql backend
option to refresh page automatically with manual refresh
Dead Server report (see when the last time a server was online and how long
it was up for.)
dhcpd.conf generator (still under development)
zone file generator (future development)
option to take servers in/out of service (avoid from it badgering you about
servers you don't care about)
option for viewable servers (if you have a machine that you only bring
online every once in a while, you can hide it to avoid another offline
entry)
multiple subnet support (if you can ping it, netmon can show it)

The only downsides are that it requires a web browser always have it running
(not a problem if you're like me and leave a PC on always anyway) and that
the more offline servers you have, the slower it gets.

If you're really interested, I could send you the sourcecode and the MySQL
code to get it running.  I haven't had enough time to get it converted to
use register_globals=OFF, but since I run it only for my internal LAN, it's
not an issue.