[SATLUG] program or cron job to ping internal devices & email

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 09:55:30 CST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 1:57 AM, FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote a simple script called Netmon for my own home network use that does
> a lot of what you're asking about.
> All the servers are stored in MySQL and the script polls ping and SNMP
> uptime with a WakeOnLan option if the NIC supports it.

My buddy jaba wrote 'pbnj', which is in many distros...

root at khermans-laptop:~# aptitude show pbnj
Package: pbnj
State: not installed
Version: 2.04-4
Section: universe/net
Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 229k
Depends: perl, nmap, libxml-twig-perl (>= 3.22), libnmap-parser-perl (>= 1.01),
         libdbd-sqlite3-perl (>= 1.11), libfile-which-perl (>= 0.05),
         libtext-csv-perl (>= 0.23), libfile-homedir-perl (>= 0.06),
         libyaml-perl (>= 0.39)
Recommends: sqlite3
Suggests: libdbd-mysql-perl | libdbd-pg-perl
 PBNJ is a network suite to monitor changes that occur on a network over time.
 It does this by checking for changes on the target machine(s), which includes
 the details about the services running on them as well as the service state.
 PBNJ parses the data from a scan and stores it in a database. PBNJ uses Nmap to
 perform scans.
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."