[SATLUG] PS3 Linux... why?

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 16:23:13 CST 2008

The reason to use a PS3 with Linux is for its awesome super computing power with a multicore cell processor. Just use distcc or some other type of grid/distributed computing to give your home computer more horsepower.

Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote: Out here at Berkeley, I know they've built a few linux clusters with PS3s
and there is some commercial product out now that basically sells you a set
amount of PS3s preconfigured into a cluster for HPC applications.  The
possibilities are endless with this machine, but there are a few drawbacks.
For one, of the 7 synergistic processing elements inside, you can only use 6
(think 6 CPUs).  The seventh is locked down by the hypervisor.  There are
512MB of RAM onboard, but only 256 are accessible by these 6 SPEs...the
other 256 is reserved for graphics.  If my PS3 weren't still in warranty, I
would crack it open and see if I could max out the RAM somehow, but as is,
it's a little slow.  Either way, it's always fun playing with new hardware
architectures.

Ernest

On Jan 15, 2008 5:19 AM, Mike Ester  wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 5:53 AM, John Chalinder  wrote:
>
> > Thank God for freelance explorers like yourself. Without you and others
> > like
> > you, half the fun things in life would go undiscovered.
> >
> > I file this under "You never know what fun and useful things you can do
> > until
> > you try."
> >

> > Or, "Why does the dog lick his b***s? Because he can." ;)

voiced by Benjamin Franklin

http://www.prezronpaul.com