[SATLUG] What All Systems has to say about Linux

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Jan 21 17:51:45 CST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 3:24 PM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Everyone seems to argue that the information is irrelevant. Can you
> provide some information that you think is relevant instead?

It really depends on how the user uses the Tool (Laptop/Desktop, Required
Proggies, etc).  There are several known strengths of each option (not
trying to troll, but any other OBJECTIVE views are appreciated):

Windows
   Commercial program support (Commercial productivity apps, etc) and
Games.  Hardware support (Most vendors release supported HW drivers).  User
familiarity.

Mac OSX
   Commercial Productivity apps, especially multimedia.  User-centric-ness
and Stability.

Linux Desktop
  Breadth of F/LOSS.  Lack of driver support for certain hardware, X11
issues related to hardware support.  Certain cases of obtuseness when
related to user interaction.

As a "vigorous" proponent of OSS and using Linux on the desktop, I feel that
I have a certain amount of input to this conversation.  Having failed in my
mission to have 100% Linux Desktops (Failing point is currently mobility,
not to mention "old-school" user buy-in), I can say that as a desktop, it is
REALLY close; as a Laptop, it is kinda close.  Servers, having COMPLETELY
different requirements, are much more feasible, and proven in many cases: My
business, Rackspace & Hosting Providers, Infrastructure services (DHCP, DNS,
LDAP, Etc), just to name a few.

My take, if the user only uses Thunderbird/Firefox/OpenOffice, on a static
"Desktop-like" system, then Linux is really close.  Otherwise, start with
using those big three on Windows or Mac, and then revisit platform
migration.

Al Castanoli <afcasta at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:38 -0600, Wayne Walker wrote:
> [...]
> > I won't ever recommend RHEL for a desktop user.  RHEL can be used as a
> > desktop, but I would only recommend Ubuntu or Fedora.  I would never
> > recommend Ubuntu as a server, it can be used as one, but I'd recommend
> > Debian or RHEL/CentOS.
>
> I'm using Scientific Linux, a FermiLab/CERN sponsored RHEL/CentOS like
> distribution, on my desktop because it's the best tool for the job of
> managing 52 UNIX boxen spread across the country. I was given a
> current-technology PC to do this work, and it would have been impossible
> using Windows.  I still have the PC, but my main desktop workstation's
> an old Dell PowerEdge with Pentium III processors that I salvaged on its
> way out to be recycled. The mainstream desktop distros didn't work well
> with the PowerEdge's hardware RAID controllers and dual processors.
>
> Once again, broadsweeping generalizations about workstation vs. server
> uses don't fit all needs.

True.  Everything comes down to requirements and "Right tool for the job"

Al Castanoli, currently using PCLinuxOS on my desktop at home.

John Pappas, Predominantly Suse servers/Workstations, Corp user Windows
Laptops, Pro user Suse Laptops.