[SATLUG] lvm2 and raid again

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 19:31:19 CST 2008

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but I'd like lots of people's opinions on this idea. I want performance. I want to go fast. I don't to drive a school bus. I want to drive a turbo Hayabusa. I'm thinking of reinstalling Linux with a different layout. I'm thinking it might be better to eliminate raid 0 using mdadm and get striping using lvm2. I'll put all of Linux in the lvm2 striping including / /home and all. Then I could have a seperate partition or two dedicated for backups without any type of raid or striping. I could make nightly backups using cron of my home directory while I'm snoozing. I'd like to bring my computer to the install fest to set this up. Does anyone have some thoughts? My other ideas in the past have been bad ones. I'm hoping this is a good plan.

 Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote: On 1/13/08,  Chris Lemire wrote:

 >  Should I remove the raid 1 array and have my /home without raid? I can't
 >  put it on another hard drive because I only have 2.

 Put everything on RAID-1 and you should be fine -- which gives you
 the advantage of having a mirror copy of all data.  If you need more
 disk space than that, my suggestion would be to split up the storage
 across the two disks (as opposed to doing RAID-0), and you can set up
 cron jobs to do manual nightly copies of the most important disks to
 identical backup slices on the other disk.

 --
 Brad Knowles
 LinkedIn Profile: